THE NEW SCENE OF UKRAINE – PROJECT
Duration: 16 September – 15 December
Locations: Vienna, Kharkiv, Kyiv
Partners: Ukranian Institute, Second National Biennale for Young Art, IZOLYATSIA. Platform for Cultural Initiatives (Kyiv) and Flanders Arts Institute (Brussel)
In the light of 2019 – the bilateral “Year of Culture” between Ukraine and Austria, BLOCKFREI has created a project “The New Scene of Ukraine” with the idea to present the potent emerging cultural institutions, initiatives and individuals from Ukraine, in order to connect them with their Austrian colleagues for the purpose of exchange of ideas and to lay a foundation for their potential collaboration in the years to come.
Scope and format of the project are consisting of several aspects:
STUDY VISITS & RESIDENCES:
– Visitor’s Programme Ukraine, 16th – 22nd of September 2019
A Seven-day study visit to Ukraine (Kyiv, Kharkiv) for 2 Austrian based curators and art critics selected on the basis of their applications to the open call conducted in Austria.
This activity was realized in cooperation with Second National Biennale for Young Art, IZOLYATSIA. Platform for Cultural Initiatives (Kyiv) and Flanders Arts Institute (Brussel).
More information about this activity (..)
– Curators’ Agenda: VIENNA 2019, 16th – 31st of October 2019
A six-week residency program for 2 selected emerging curators from Ukraine who were also selected on the basis of their applications to the open call conducted in Ukraine. This activity was realized in cooperation with the Ukrainian Institute.
More information about this activity (..)
6th – 7th of December 2019
Depot – Kunst und Diskussion
Breite Gasse 3
●Presentations of different cultural and artistic initiatives from Ukraine, as well as paramount cooperation projects realized in partnership with Austrian organizations for the purpose of re-connecting;
● Speed networking with the idea to boost the exchange and network creation among Ukrainian and Austrian cultural professionals;
● Panel discussions, with the aim to give Austrian audience the broader context into the current state of the affairs in Ukraine reflecting on its historical, political and cultural aspects, as well as to highlight the role of the civic society in achieving the social change;
● Evening DJ Performances (Austrian and Ukrainian performers)
Throughout the program, we will present Ukrainian cultural associations, artists and collectives, who will take part in the aforementioned activities and discuss the topics related to art and activism, culture and community, as well as their role as activators of social change.
We will also introduce representatives of the Ukrainian and Austrian governments who will present to the audience official programs that are supporting the enhancement of mobility opportunities and exchange between the two countries.
》Enhance mobility between the two countries and facilitate the exchange in the field of arts and culture
》Enable higher visibility of the Ukrainian art and culture in the Austrian context by promoting emerging civil society actors of the Ukrainian cultural scene
》Promote innovative civic initiatives that use activism as a tool for contributing to individual, personal development as well as development of the new, modern and prosperous Ukraine
》Promote Austrian art scene to the visiting Ukrainian guest, peer to peer exchange among the project participants
》Provide support and encourage the development of Ukrainian culture and art scene by exchange and collaborations with their Austrian colleagues
》Shedding light on the opportunities and threats in the cultural civil society sector
➠ Enhanced mobility between Ukrainian and Austrian cultural operators
➠ Mutual learning and knowledge expansion, transcultural exchange and peer to peer learning
➠Creation of professional network among young, emerging, up-and-coming as well as established professionals in art and culture from Ukraine and Austria
➠ Specific know-how sharing, knowledge enhancement via tailor-made learning (Curators’ Agenda)
➠ Learning more about the Ukrainian context and recent history developments
➠ Exchange of good practices from Austria in the sphere of civil society
➠ New collaboration projects between Austrian and Ukrainian organisations
– Professionals in the field of contemporary art and culture from Austria and Ukraine
– Representatives of emerging civil society organisations in the field of art and culture in Ukraine
– Curators and Art critics from Austria and Ukraine
– Representatives of official institutions (Ukrainian Institute, International cooperation departments in the BKA, Institute for Human Sciences (IWM) in Vienna, etc,)
– Professional community of scholars that is engaged in the Ukrainian question
– Cultural scene in Austria
The project “The New Scene of Ukraine” is supported by the Austrian Federal Chancellery, Ukrainian Institute, Austrian Cultural Forum in Kyiv and the Flanders Institute in Brussels.